An award-winning photographer specializing in still life and products, Jim brings an artist's eye and an enthusiast's passion to his work. He strives to capture the pared-down essence of his subjects, rather than impose a false sense of beauty upon them. The viewer is invited to enjoy an often-inanimate object for its stark simplicity or quiet quality.
Jim first learned his craft in the fast-paced New York advertising world, where he spent several years working as a high-end retoucher and visual effects specialist. In 2000, with a sense of manifest destiny, he packed his bags and headed to Portland.
Jim is a consummate professional with 15 years of industry experience. His easy-going attitude and sense of humor ensure that clients not only receive top-quality work, but also enjoy the process.
Past and present clients include: Wieden + Kennedy, McKinney, Haworth, Organic, Nemo, Simpson Strong-Tie, Soy Vay, New Seasons, Weight Watchers, Yahoo!, Sherwin Williams, Nike, Jordan, adidas, Keen, Kinfolk, Field & Stream, Outside, Money, Sunset and Audubon Society.
Jim won Grand Prize in Popular Photography’s 2012 Readers’ Choice Contest and his work has been recognized by: PDN Photo Annual, International Photography Awards, among others.
Fun facts about Jim:
1. Jim is a car nut and has been since he was a little. However, he rides a bike 90% of the time.
2. 75 degrees max is Jim’s happy operating temperature. Above that he gets grumpy.
3. People assume Jim is Jewish, but he’s actually Sicilian, Irish and Polish.
4. His dessert of choice is Fernet Branca shaken with ice.
5. Jim has a studio poodle (“stoodle”) named Dusty, who often sports a mohawk.
6. Jim balances large rocks on their tips to relax in the outdoors.
7. Jim can rock an afro, and often does. (As any good hair farmer should)
8. Jim's studio is his clubhouse where all his favorite books, records and artworks reside.
9. Jim’s favorite studio tools are his Foba camera stands.
Jim Golden Interviews & Articles:
Big Cartel - Jim Golden Finds Beauty in the Process, By Andy Newman
A Photo Editor - The Art of the Personal Project: Jim Golden, By Suzanne Sease
WIRED – This Guy Turns OCD Hoarding Into Amazing Photos, By Joseph Plaherty
Feature Shoot – Photos of Graphic and Meticulous Still Life Collages, By Amanda Gorence
PetaPixel – Photography Equipment Arranged Neatly, By Michael Zhang
Hypebeast – The Ultimate Photographer Kit, By Josh Davis
Gestalten – Collections by Jim Golden; Photographing Ordered Chaos
WIRED – Charming Photos of Iconic Tech Relics, From Brick Phones to Zip Drives, By Ariel Zambelich
Mashable – Nostaligic Photo Series Brings Forgotten Gadgets back to Life, By Andrea Romano
Fast Company – Beautifully Pristine Relics of Technology Past
Phaidon – Jim Golden’s Still Lifes, By Photo District news